Donovan on his new bike

Donovan on his new bike
Thank you Mary Free Bed "Bikes for the Rest of Us"

Thursday, May 2, 2013

4 not 7 !!!!! Great Day

Donovan had a great day and he worked very hard. 

1.  First he walked 100 feet with a walker with no braces!  Small steps as they were he was incredible.  Joe, his PT, said he is far ahead of most kids with this surgery. 

2. We met with his physician, Dr. Rush and he said he would likely be done in about 4 weeks not 7! 

3. Donovan was able to swallow pills for the first time without chewing them!  I know it seems small, but he has medication that in liquid form is awful, and I mean AWFUL.  Just the smell is enough to make you gag (Bridget tasted it and she can attest to how bad it is).  And he has to take it every morning.  He is such a trooper!  As bad as the liquid was, he always found a way to take it (albeit with some struggle)....

4.  He did all his math home work (fractions) in

less than 30 minutes. 

5.  We built an incredable marble tower and if you look closely at the picture below, you can see the marble is "jumping" from one tower to the next.

6. As if he isn't working hard enough, I took him out to a walk way area at the hospital outside to get some fresh air, and he insisted on a game of tag with his wheel chair, where by he propelled himself and chased me around, trying to "tag" me with his feet!  Then he wanted to prove to me he could wheel himself up a small incline that was about 30 feet long.

Finally the day was done, after earning extra Wii time with Dad.  As you can see in the 2nd pic, he gathered all his friends and fell fast asleep after I read him 2 chapters from Scooby Doo. 

Kids do amaze... and Donovan even more so....

The amazing jumping Marble!

Donovan and Friends all done!

1 comment:

Ryan and Sandra said...

I just had a moment to catch up on reading your posts--I'm so grateful that Donovan is doing so well in his recovery! :) It was especially fun to see the pics of MFB; I know just where you are and can picture what is beyond the edges of your photos....

Can't believe that Emma broke her foot and Carl sprained his ankle! How crazy is that?! I pray all three of them heal well and quickly and that God gives you two lots of patience and grace during this stressful (but not overwhelming, I hope) season.

Love,
Sandi (for Ryan, too)